The First Look
Happy Monday friends!
We hope those Monday blues aren't getting you too down, and that you're coming off a wonderful (and romantic!) Valentine's day weekend. If you're one of the lucky few to have President's Day off, grab a cup of coffee or mug of tea and get to reading!
Here at ALD, we love a good First Look. "So, what is that?" you may say. A First Look is a formal moment on the wedding day before the ceremony takes place where a couple can see each other in a private (or semi-private, if your photographer is there) setting. First Looks are not only great ways to cheat the timeline of the day (taking pictures with each other before the wedding ceremony!) they can also help to calm your nerves.
Now, as we always say...YOU DO YOU! A First Look isn't for everyone, especially brides and grooms who are more traditional and want that wow moment walking down that aisle. Both options are great and totally beautiful!
If you are trying to make the decision whether or not to do a First Look consider these questions:
- How do you feel about seeing your love before the ceremony? If you lean towards a more traditional reveal, you may say absolutely not! If that is the case, this is not for you.
- Do you want to see your love for the first time and react in front of a lot of people? Your wedding day is all about you as a couple, and you will have the constant attention of many people all day long, if you are totes kewl with that... a First Look may not be important. For some couples, a private moment alone before the ceremony starts can help compose emotions and thoughts.
- Are you or your love terribly shy or nervous? If your lady or guy tend to be shy or need reassurance, a First Look might be just what you need! It is a great time to see each other, to help each other calm down and move on.
- Do you have a tight timeline? Some couples are just not ok with a large gap between the ceremony and the reception. Unfortunately, that leaves little to no time to take photos. If this tight time gap is important to you, consider doing a First Look early in the day... that way, you can take minimal photographs after the ceremony and move on to having fun at the reception!
- Do you want to exchange gifts to be used at the ceremony? Some couples choose to give their partner a gift, maybe a handkerchief or cuff links or a new piece of jewelry to be worn or used that day. If the gift giving is important the morning of, a First Look provides a great time to exchange them!
We hope that these questions are helpful in your decision making process. Are you a first look or a down-the-aisle girl? Let us know what you prefer in the comments below!
Emma and Kaitlynn